One gloomy spring day, you decide it’s time for some spring cleaning in one of your email accounts (Hey, it’s not nice outside, and you’d rather do this than the other things on your list). You empty your junk folder,create a new folder or two, delete a few old emails, and clean up your contact list. You figure, whatever, if I need them again, I have them on my Blackberry. Besides, this email isn’t one that you really use anyway. Your other email address is the one you use the most. A quick sync on your Blackberry later, and your gr….. wait…. Where did my 300 contacts go?!?!?!
Turns out that the email that you updated happens to be your default contact list. Who knew?
Fortunately, you had recently backed up your Blackberry and were able to recover your lost contacts, but you don’t really want to make the mistake again.
Problem is, if you have more than one email address synced to your Blackberry, you may not know what the default for your contact list is. Here is how to check and change it:
- Start by going to Options
- Then go to Advanced Options
- Then to Default Services.
- You should see a screen with a few options, and your email addresses.
- Go to the Contact List (SYNC) option, and select the email you want to default from the Drop down.
- Click to save.
But wait! What happens if I don’t have the option to change to a different email? You go to scroll down and your Blackberry doesn’t let you!
No worries! Try this:
- Go to your Email Set-Up icon
- Log in if you have to.
- Highlight the emails you want to turn the syncing off of, and hit edit.
- Scroll all the way to the bottom, and select Synchronization Options
- You, should then see some options, like Contacts and Calendar.
- Uncheck Contacts, and then hit save.
- Now, select the email that you want to sync
- Hit Edit, and scroll to Synchronization Options.
- Now check Contacts, and hit Save.
Now go ahead and sync your phone.
Once you’ve synced, go back into Default Services, and you should be able to change the email in the Contact List (SYNC) drop-down. Hit Save, and you’ll be syncing your contacts from the right email from now on!
Special thanks to JP for his help on this blog!
For more tips on mobile device management, subscribe to our blog!